Friday, October 11, 2013

Day 11: This, too, shall pass and become funny

Today, I laughed at: an imitation my coworker did of me.
At work, we've been waiting for the new restaurant down the block to open up, since we've gotten tired of the same take out all the time. When we tried the food, unfortunately, none of the orders were right. I would have quietly eaten my veggie wrap, which was completely different from what the menu promised, but once other coworkers started hovering around, wondering what the new food was like, I snapped. The combination of others' curiosity and watching me eat, along with a cold side salad in a wrap instead of a grilled mushroom, pepper and cheese veggie wrap I was promised was too much and I flipped out, grabbed a coworker and brought my food back.
Later that night, we were recounting the story and another coworker did an impression of my face and said in a high voice, "This veggie wrap is just wrong! Please, oh pretty please, fix it!"


 You know how I wrote about how jokes don't always age well? Well, sometimes awful situations have a way of becoming funnier.

When I tell the boyfriend fiancee about my horrible day, I end up finding something to laugh at. Or, he'll point out something I said and make me laugh about it later.

Last night I was looking through some old diaries as I was packing, including one from eighth grade. Everything was sooooo overdramatic back then. I laughed about how I would go from loving my best friends one day to thinking they were all against me the next day. And a few pages later, I would talk about my weekend plans with them and how I couldn't wait. And how they would all be in my future wedding. But I found it funny the tiny details of my little middle school like and how monumental it all used to feel.

I can even laugh about my annoyance at work hours ago, but now that I'm not in the thick of it, I can find the funny parts.

It's very much like how I don't remember the mood L. was in today and I only remember when she woke me up with "Oh! Good morning, Mom!" and I smile, despite being woken up at 6:30 a.m. and tricking her into giving me a hug so I could snuggle with her in bed half-asleep, hoping to get another 20 minutes of sleep in. Then she got up, took my blanket and said, "We get dressed?"

It's all funny now. At 6:47 a.m., though, I was pretty miserable.

I think this is a good quality.

Life isn't so bad, once you have the chance to slow down and laugh at it.

It's so easy to remember the bad parts, but why? There is a lot of good in the day. And even if it doesn't go as planned, I think one of the best ways of coping is to be able to laugh at it.

After all, that's what this challenge is supposed to inspire me to do more, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment