Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Progression of a kids song ear worm

Earlier in the day, I had been listening to L.'s CD of nursery rhymes and toddler songs. "Little Bunny Foo Foo" was one of her favorites so we had sung it probably four or five times that day.

Later at work, I found myself still hearing the melody in my head as I was working.

(Also in this picture, next to the bottle of generic Aveeno, you will see my Simple Mom Daily Docket, the closest thing I have to a personal assistant. More on that in a future post about the Simple Mom podcast and website and my love for Tsh.)





"It's OK," I told myself. "Just sing a Queen song. That gets any ear worm out of your head."


"Hey ... anybody. Find me ... some Bunny Foo Foo, hopping through the forest, scoopin' up the .... NOOOOOOO!"


The song would not go away! 

"Mama, just killed a man. And boppin' him on the head!"

I was trying so hard!

"Don't stop me now! I'm havin' such a good time. I'm havin' a ball. Down came the good fairy and she said ... "

This was ridiculous! Freddie Mercury was failing me!


I got to the point at which it was almost impossible to work. I was staring at the screen, trying to copy edit and, really, just wanting to change all the words on the page to, "I don't want to see you, scoopin' up the field mice and boppin' them on the head!"


I finally realized if I wanted to get anything done, I had to sing the damn song. No, not just sing the song, EMBRACE THE SONG!


I'm not sure when it happened, but it got to this point ...


And then, I could work again.


I sang the song hundreds of times in my head. Over and over again. Finally, when I was alone in the elevator to leave, I could truly belt it out!


When I got to the car, I pulled out the CD, a find I picked up at Dollar Tree and has come to be L.'s favorite music in the car. If she didn't love it so damn much, it would have "accidentally" flown out the sunroof that night.


But, L. loves it. And I love her. And I love her more than my sanity. And, besides, what's a little ear worm compared to how happy she looks when she bops those little field mice on the head with her hands?




No comments:

Post a Comment